If you’re considering PrEP, your first step is to talk to your healthcare professional. PrEP can be prescribed by any GP or sexual health nurse practitioner in Australia. Some might not be up to speed on PrEP, or you might not be comfortable talking to your regular doctor about PrEP. So it might be best to see a doctor or sexual health nurse practitioner at a sexual health clinic or GP clinic that specialises in sexual health, if there is one in your area.

Make sure you see your healthcare professional before starting PrEP. It’s not a good idea to just start PrEP using tablets given to you by your friends. It’s important you get a few tests done before starting PrEP, including an HIV test to confirm you’re HIV negative and a test to make sure your kidneys are ok.

There are a couple of websites with maps showing some known PrEP prescribers across Australia at:

There is a list of sexual health clinics and GP clinics that work in sexual health at:

If you think your doctor might not know about PrEP, you can take this letter with you. It gives the doctor the information they need to prescribe you PrEP, along with other resources and information for them about PrEP and HIV: